November 16, 2009

Methi Mattar Curry

I rarely buy methi leaves as I hate cleaning it and also any dish I make with methi never comes out well.  I made gajar methi subzi couple of times and it was a disaster. But this time I could not resist buying the methi leaves from the market as it looked so fresh (fresh vegetables are a rarity in our area). I spent 2 hours cleaning it and then I spent the next hour looking for an easy recipe. Finally, I decided on the methi mattar malai recipe by Tarla Dalal. The dish came out very well and I will definitely be making it again.

Methi Mattar Curry (adapted from Tarla Dalal's microwave cooking recipes)




1 1/2 cups fenugreek (methi) leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup green peas, boiled
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsps oil
salt to taste

To be ground into a paste

1 onion
1 green chilli
1/2" piece ginger
1 clove garlic
2 tbsps cashewnuts

Wash the chopped fenugreek leaves, add 1/2 tsp of salt and leave aside for 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out the water.  In a pan, heat oil. Add jeera seeds and when it splutters, add fenugreek leaves and fry for 2 minutes. Transfer this to another dish. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, add the prepared paste and fry till raw smell goes. Add the milk, salt, boiled peas, and fenugreek leaves and fry till the gravy thickens. Serve hot with rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment